Performance Testing in 2020 and Beyond
Software are likely to suffer from issues such as: running slow while several users use it simultaneously or may have memory leakage and inconsistency in it’s components which results in poor usability and performance. In Software Quality Assurance,Performance testing is the process of determining the non-functional part of the software application such as speed,responsiveness,scalability and stability.The main aim of performance testing is not to find the bugs but to eliminate the performance bottlenecks and check how the system will perform under the expected workload.Some of the common performance bottle necks are CPU utilisation, Memory utilisation,Network utilisation,OS limitations ,Disk Usage etc.The main focus of performance testing is mostly checking the software’s program’s Speed , Scalability and Stability.
The “Speed” basically determines whether the application response quickly or not. “Scalability” determines the maximum numbers of users and loads the application can handle and Stability determines whether the application is stable or not under the varying loads.
So why do we need performance testing?- the performance testing more importantly helps to provide stakeholder with information about the application Speed, Scalability and Stability.It uncovers what needs to be improved before the software goes to market.Since application sent to market with poor performance metrics are likely to gains bad reputations and also will fail to meet expected sales goal hence we need to perform different types of performance testing.Different types of performance testing are Load Testing,Stress Testing, Endurance Testing, Spike Testing,Volume Testing and many other hybrid type of testing to improve the software’s usability.
- Load Testing : The load testing checks the application ability to perform under anticipated user loads.the objective is to identify the software performance bottlenecks before the it goes live.
- Stress Testing: It involves testing the application under extreme work loads to see how it handles high traffic or data processing.It helps to identify the breaking point of the application.
- Endurance Testing: It is done to make sure software can handle the expected load under long period of time.
- Spike Testing: It test the software reaction to sudden large spike generated by the users.
- Volume Testing:Under volume testing large number of data is populated in the database and the overall software system behaviour is checked.
Performance Testing Process helps to carry out the test plan in more managed and fruitful way.The following seven steps describe what’s involved in the performance testing process:
- Identify the Right Testing Environment.
- Identify the Performance Acceptance Criteria.
- Plan and Design Performance Tests.
- Configure the Testing Environment.
- Implement the Test Design
- Execute the Test.
- Analyse, Tune, and Retest.
Some of the best handpicked automated performance test tools are Apache Jmeter, NeoLoad, Micro Focus Load Runner, LoadNinja,Stress Stimulus,LoadView etc.
The future of performance testing is very bright.It is because most of the us are moving towards continuous Delivery and continuous Deployment and whenever there is any change in the application or any fix or release the time to the market should be minimum and the performance of the software developed should not degrade.The performance testing becomes even more important if the product or application is costumer facing or user facing for example- A Shopping Website, if there is any kind of delay in the response it can loose a lot of customers due to this kind of situation.This type of problems can be handled by performing the performance testing.A good performance testing engineer is responsible to carry out the test. He should be able to gather the requirements of the performance test,study and analyse all the aspects of the application,create a proper test environment and infrastructure,use the best tool for testing and set up the right test plan.Making sure that the test created for performance testing targets and improves the application performance.Another important thing is generating and summarising the results in such a way that it is mostly meaningful for all the stakeholders so that just by looking at the results somebody can say that the performance is good or bad or there needs to be a improvements.